- 1 ¼ pounds mackerel fillets
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, more for seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, more for seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small orange or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 large thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry rosé or white wine
- ½ teaspoon sherry vinegar, more to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
557 calories; 40 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 22 grams monounsaturated fat; 7 grams polyunsaturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 28 grams protein; 99 milligrams cholesterol; 453 milligrams sodium
- Season mackerel with salt, black pepper and paprika. Let fillets rest at room temperature while preparing vegetables.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and add 5 tablespoons oil. Then add leeks, carrots, bell peppers and thyme, cooking them until they soften, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic, stirring gently, and cook for 2 minutes more. Add wine and cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Season to taste with more salt, pepper and sherry vinegar, then transfer to one side of a serving platter.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel, add remaining oil, and set over high heat. When oil is hot, add mackerel in one layer, skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, until fish is cooked through. Add fillets to platter and spoon vegetables on top of fish.