You can now find steel-cut oats that cook quickly. If you steep them the night before in boiling water (pit the cherries then, too), this breakfast is a quick one to put together.
- ½ cup steel-cut oatmeal, preferably the quick-cooking variety
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey, brown sugar or agave nectar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pistachios, lightly toasted
- 3 ounces cherries 12 to 14, depending on the size, pitted and halved
- Milk or almond beverage as desired
- The night before you plan to make this dish, place the oatmeal in a large microwave-safe bowl or in a saucepan with the salt. Bring the water to a boil, and pour over the oatmeal. Cover tightly and leave overnight.
- In the morning, stir in the honey, pistachios and cherries. Cover and microwave three to five minutes, or simmer for 10 minutes or so until the oatmeal has absorbed the liquid remaining in the bowl. Stir in milk or almond beverage as desired.
- Advance preparation: I like to have this oatmeal cooked and ready in the refrigerator to reheat before I leave in the morning. It will keep there for three days.