- 1 ½ pounds brussels sprouts
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 tablespoons glace de viande
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup light cream
4 to 6 servings
- Trim the brussels sprouts of any loose or yellowing leaves and cut a cross in the stem end of each one. Add them to the quart of boiling water and cook for exactly 7 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- While sprouts are cooking, bring cream to a boil in a separate saucepan and reduce by boiling to 1/2 cup.
- Place the sprouts in a saute pan with the glace de viande and flavorings. Add the reduced cream and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, tossing the sprouts in the cream to coat well. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is improved by the addition of 1 tablespoon of strong Dijon mustard to the reduced cream.