For the crust
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into 10 pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large egg, beaten, for glazing rim
For the filling
- 4 cups rhubarb about 5 large stalks, halved lengthwise and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
For the streusel
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, plus additional as needed
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut in pieces
- 3 tablespoons candied ginger, minced
- ½ cup pecans, lightly toasted, chopped fine
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
608 calories; 34 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 11 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 73 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 43 grams sugars; 6 grams protein; 80 milligrams cholesterol; 170 milligrams sodium
one 9-inch pie (8 to 10 servings)
For the crust
- To make the crust: In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups flour with the salt and sugar. Add the butter and shortening and quickly break the large chunks apart with your fingers until the mixture resembles very coarse meal. Stir in the fresh ginger. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water over the dough and mix the dough with your hands, without over-handling, until it comes together. If too dry, add another tablespoon or 2 of water. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- To make the filling: Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, 1/3 cup flour and orange zest.
- To make the streusel: Mix 1/2 cup flour with the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Add the butter and mix with your fingertips until it is broken into tiny pebbles. Mix in the candied ginger and chopped pecans.
- Heat the oven to 475 degrees with a rack in the middle. Cover a rimmed sheet pan with foil. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin into a disk about 1/4-inch thick and a few inches larger than the pie pan, pressing together if it breaks apart. Fold the disk in half and gently place across the center of a 9-inch pie plate. Unfold. Crimp the edges of the dough so that it ends along the rim. Press down around the edge with the tines of a fork.
- Mound the filling in the center and spread the streusel evenly on top, pressing down lightly. Brush the exposed crust with beaten egg and place on the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes more, checking the pie as it bakes. If the crust begins to look too brown, wrap a strip of foil around its edge. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, with ice cream.
2 hours and 30 minutes