- 4 12-ounce cans kidney, black, pinto or great Northern beans, or a combination, drained reserve the liquid and rinsed
- 6 medium tomatoes, cored, peeled and sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large bunch of cilantro or oregano or a combination, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- chili powder
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- 1 cup low-sodium shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch of scallion
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
665 calories; 18 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 7 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 94 grams carbohydrates; 22 grams dietary fiber; 13 grams sugars; 35 grams protein; 28 milligrams cholesterol; 809 milligrams sodium
- Season tomato slices with olive oil, cumin, chili powder and salt. Roast in a 350-degree oven until slightly caramelized. Chop roughly.
- Preheat a 10-inch sauté pan. Add some olive oil, the garlic, onions, peppers and the tomato. Cook until soft. Add more of the dry seasonings if necessary. Add the vinegar and remove from heat.
- Combine the vegetables with the beans and mix well. Add herbs. If mixture seems dry, add some reserved liquid from the beans.
- Place in a casserole dish, cover and bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and return to oven to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with chopped scallion.