Casseroles need not contain eggs or dairy products. And baked beans, exceptionally creamy after their long simmer in the oven, can be made into perfect vegan fare. Add vegetables of your choice and you’ll have a perfect one-dish meal. This savory gratin is a regular item in my winter repertory. Those one-pound bags of sturdy greens, sold in my market as “Southern greens mix,” are a winter godsend. All the time-consuming work has been done, and the rest can be accomplished while the blanching water comes to a boil.
- 1 ½ pounds greens, such as chard, stemmed and washed (2 bunches); or a 1-pound bag Southern greens mix, stemmed and washed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 or 2 shallots or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated 1/2 cup
- 1 ounce Parmesan, grated 1/4 cup
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
273 calories; 18 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 17 grams protein; 162 milligrams cholesterol; 632 milligrams sodium
Serves four to six
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 2-quart baking dish or gratin.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt abundantly and add the greens. Cook for one to four minutes, depending on the type of green (sturdy greens take longer), until just tender. Transfer to a bowl of ice water, then drain and squeeze out water. Chop coarsely.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet, and add the shallots or onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, three to five minutes. Add the mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about eight minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, and the rosemary and garlic. Cook for another minute. Add the greens, and stir together for another minute. Adjust seasonings.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper, and stir in the cheeses and mushroom/greens mixture. Scrape into the baking dish. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until browned and sizzling. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.
- Advance preparation: The mushrooms and greens can be prepared up to three days before assembling and baking the gratin.
1 hour 10 minutes