- 1 ½cups fine or medium cornmeal
- 1teaspoon salt
- ½cup milk, or more as needed
- 2tablespoons vegetable or olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½cup pine nuts
- Honey, for serving
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
414 calories; 20 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 7 grams polyunsaturated fat; 50 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 7 grams protein; 3 milligrams cholesterol; 599 milligrams sodium
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, salt and 1 1/2 cups boiling water in a bowl and let it sit until the cornmeal absorbs the water and softens, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, a little at a time, until the batter is spreadable but still thick. Stir in 2 tablespoons oil, the vanilla and the pine nuts.
- Put a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. When a few drops of water dance on its surface, add a thin film of oil and let it become hot. Spoon out the batter, making any size pancakes you like. Cook until bubbles form on the top and burst and the underside is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes; turn and cook on the other side until golden. You may have to rotate the cakes to cook them evenly, depending on the heat source and pan. As they finish, transfer them to a plate in the oven while you cook the remaining batter. Serve with honey.