- 1 cup pistachios
- 40 grams confectioners’ sugar (about 1/3 cup)
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus a pinch
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 115 grams extra-bittersweet chocolate (about 72 percent cocoa), chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 45 grams granulated sugar (about 3 tablespoons)
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
404 calories; 27 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 35 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 29 grams sugars; 9 grams protein; 156 milligrams cholesterol; 138 milligrams sodium
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Spread the pistachios on a baking sheet and toast 5 minutes. Let the pistachios cool, then transfer to a food processor, with the confectioners’ sugar and salt. Process until it has the consistency of damp sand, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream and .75 cup of the pistachio mixture (reserve the rest for garnish). Simmer 5 minutes; remove from heat, cover and let stand 20 minutes. Return the pot to the heat and return to a simmer.
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl. Strain the pistachio cream through a fine-mesh sieve over the chocolate; press down on the pistachio solids with a rubber spatula to extract as much flavor as possible. Whisk until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks, granulated sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisking constantly, pour in the hot chocolate mixture until combined. Divide the mixture among six 6-ounce ramekins. Transfer ramekins to a baking dish that fits them snugly. Fill the dish with hot water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover with foil and prick foil with a fork. Bake until the pots de crème are set but jiggle slightly when nudged, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm. Serve topped with whipped cream and a sprinkling of the reserved pistachios.