Many vegan dishes (like fruit salad and peanut butter and jelly) are already beloved, but the problem faced by many of us is in imagining less-traditional dishes that are interesting and not challenging. Here are some more creative options to try.
- Squash (acorn, butternut, etc.)
- Wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Heat the oven to 425. Halve and seed 2 small-to-medium squash, drizzle with olive oil and bake until just tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop a bunch of kale (you want big but manageable pieces); add to squash and bake another 10 to 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, make a vinaigrette: combine olive oil and wine vinegar with salt and pepper and a chopped shallot in a blender until a creamy emulsion forms. The vegetables are done when the squash is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Cut squash into 1-inch pieces, then dress the vegetables with the vinaigrette and serve.
1 hour 15 minutes