- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 2garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 to 5cups vegetable broth
- 1cup Carnarolli or Arborio rice
- ⅓cup ouzo
- 1 ⅓cups grated ripe tomato (see Note)
- ⅔cup creamy feta, such as Dodoni or Cephalonia, or a French feta
- 2tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Finely grated zest of a lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
395 calories; 15 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 44 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 7 grams protein; 22 milligrams cholesterol; 275 milligrams sodium
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-low heat, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add onion and a little salt and stir until soft, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and stir until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Place broth in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Raise heat to medium, and add rice to skillet. Stir until well-coated with olive oil and starting to soften slightly, 2-3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the simmering broth. Keep stirring gently until the rice absorbs all the broth. Add ouzo and stir until absorbed.
- Add grated tomato and stir gently until the mixture is dense. Add remaining broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring until each addition is absorbed, until the rice is creamy but al dente, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add feta and stir until melted and risotto is creamy and thick. Stir in oregano and lemon zest, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Note: To grate a tomato, halve crosswise and grate the cut side with a coarse grater over a strainer set over a bowl. Grate as close to the skin as possible, but discard the skin.
1 hour and 15 minutes