- 2 pounds beef round
- ½ pound bacon
- 3 medium onions
- 2 slices sour rye bread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 bay leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
692 calories; 41 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 18 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 16 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 59 grams protein; 193 milligrams cholesterol; 1172 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- Slice meat into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and pound with a cleaver to tenderize it.
- Cut the bacon into noodlelike ribbons.
- Cut each onion into 8 pieces.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch pieces.
- Mix the bacon, onion and bread together.
- Sprinkle each slice of meat with salt and pepper to taste. Put 1 tablespoon of the bacon mixture in the center of each piece of meat. Roll up the meat, and tie each piece with white thread.
- Fry the meat in a skillet until brown all over.
- In a large pot, with 3 cups of water, add the bay leaves, whole peppercorns and salt.
- Put all meat rolls into the pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Cool the meat rolls, and remove thread.
- Serve warm.
1 hour 30 minutes