For the blini
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups slightly warm milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 6 ounces crème fraîche
- ¼ pound (1 stick) melted butter, kept warm
- At least 125 grams caviar or trout roe
- 2 tablespoons finely cut chives
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
339 calories; 22 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 24 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 194 milligrams cholesterol; 376 milligrams sodium
About 60 3-inch blini, 10 to 12 servings
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup milk. Stir in 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining all-purpose flour, the buckwheat flour and salt. Add 2 cups milk to the yeast mixture and gradually whisk in flour-salt mixture until you have a smooth, thick batter. Whisk in melted butter. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Leave at room temperature and let batter slowly double in size, about 2 to 3 hours. (The batter may remain at room temperature even longer if necessary.) You may also mix batter and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before proceeding with recipe.
- When you are ready to cook blini, stir down batter, which will have become quite frothy. Beat egg yolks and whisk into batter. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Spoon batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle, using a large soup spoon to make blini that are 3 inches in diameter. Cook for about 2 minutes, until bottom is well browned. Flip and cook 1 minute more. (Wait until surface is covered in bubbles before flipping.) Keep warm in a low oven. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche, a drizzle of butter, a generous spoonful of caviar and a sprinkling of chives.