- 9 stalks rhubarb, approximately 1 1/4 pounds
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 pint strawberries
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 9-inch pie shell with strips for lattice top, chilled for 15 minutes
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
478 calories; 17 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 81 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 53 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 22 milligrams cholesterol; 221 milligrams sodium
6 to 8 servings
- Wash and drain rhubarb and strawberries and dry. Remove leaves and trim bottom of rhubarb. Slice 1/4-inch thick and place in a bowl with 1/4 cup sugar and salt.
- Hull berries and slice. Add to rhubarb. Mix with fingers. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain 15 minutes.
- Place remaining sugar, tapioca and orange rind in another bowl.
- Dust bottom of chilled pie shell with bread crumbs. Brush fluted edge with heavy cream.
- Toss strawberry-rhubarb mixture with tapioca-sugar mixture and spoon into pie shell. Dot with butter. Brush strips of pastry with cream. Arrange strips on top of filling to form lattice crust. Cover edges of pie with foil to prevent scorching.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.