- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup mixed olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into thick wedges
- Black pepper
- ¼ cup bulgur
- 8 ounces whole wheat bow-tie or other cut pasta
- 3 cups torn arugula leaves
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
441 calories; 17 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 11 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 62 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 13 grams protein; 237 milligrams sodium
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Put oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in olives, then add lemon juice and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until tomatoes are just heated through. Turn off heat.
- When water comes to a boil, add bulgur. Let water return to a boil, then add pasta. Cook bow ties until tender but not mushy (start tasting after 5 minutes). Reserve some cooking water, then drain in a strainer to trap grains with pasta.
- Toss pasta and bulgur with tomato mixture, adding some cooking water if needed. Stir in arugula and almonds, taste and adjust seasoning. Let rest for up to 15 minutes. Stir again and serve.