This recipe calls for using past-their-prime tomatoes to make a vinaigrette by halving them across their equators, scooping out the seeds and grating the flesh on the large holes of a box grater. Seasoned with salt, vinegar and olive oil, it makes an flavorful dressing. Here, it’s tossed with green and wax beans, sliced kalamata olives and torn basil leaves for a summer salad that’s delicious cold or at room temperature. The vinaigrette can also be used as a crostini topping with white anchovies and fried capers, or in the base of an agrodolce to serve with fish or chicken.
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed
- ½ pound yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 1 overripe large tomato
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher sea salt, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced pitted kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup torn fresh basil leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
174 calories; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 10 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 210 milligrams sodium
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Drop green and wax beans into boiling water for 1 to 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain and immediately transfer to the ice bath. When cool, drain and dry with a towel and place in a large bowl.
- Cut tomato in half across its equator and squeeze out seeds (use for another purpose or discard). Using the largest hole on a box grater, grate the tomato flesh. Discard skin and transfer grated flesh to a medium bowl. You should have about 1/2 cup. Stir in vinegar and salt, then stir in olive oil and garlic. Taste and adjust vinegar and salt as needed.
- Add just enough vinaigrette to coat beans, add olives, then toss well. Let sit for at least 10 minutes (and up to 4 hours) before serving. Add torn basil and serve.