- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds chicken wings, meaty sections preferred
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons ground-bean sauce or hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (omit if using hoisin sauce)
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (3 servings)
716 calories; 49 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 25 grams monounsaturated fat; 10 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 55 grams protein; 335 milligrams cholesterol; 549 milligrams sodium
3 to 4 main-dish servings
- Set a wok or a large pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, after about 1 minute, add the oil and rotate the pan to spread. When the oil is hot, add the chicken-wing sections and stir occasionally until lightly browned all over, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic; cook until soft, about 15 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups water, the bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, turning occasionally, until the meat is tender when pierced, 35 to 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift out the wings and place on a serving dish; cover to keep warm. Skim off and discard the fat from the pan juices. Measure the juices. If more than about 1 cup, boil, uncovered, over high heat until reduced to that amount. If less than about 1 cup, add water to make that amount and bring to a boil. Pour the pan juices over the wings, and garnish with the cilantro.
About 30 minutes