- ½ cup long grain rice
- 3 cups milk (approximately)
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups cranberries
- 1 tablespoon kirsch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
447 calories; 18 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 64 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 50 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 66 milligrams cholesterol; 69 milligrams sodium
- Cover rice with an inch of water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, drain and return rice to the saucepan. Add two cups of the milk.
- Cook the rice and the milk over very low heat, stirring from time to time until the rice is tender and the mixture is thick. Add additional cup of milk or a little more if necessary and continue cooking until the mixture is thick. Cooking time should be about 40 minutes. Stir in one-half cup of the sugar and the vanilla. Cool then refrigerate the rice.
- Meanwhile, simmer the cranberries with one cup of water and the remaining three-quarters cup sugar for about 15 minutes, until the cranberries are very tender. Remove from heat, stir in the kirsch and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Whip the cream until it holds a peak but is not excessively stiff. Stir the rice mixture and gently fold in the whipped cream. Transfer rice mixture to a serving dish or to individual goblets and serve with cranberry sauce. The sauce can be served on the side or spooned directly on top of the dessert.
1 hour 10 minutes