Vegan diners and people who can’t tolerate dairy will enjoy this creamy, velvety version of macaroni and cheese — without the dairy.
- ½ large sweet potato, scrubbed and cut into large chunks.
- 1 medium carrot, top and tailed, washed and cut into thick slice
- ½ small onion, peeled and halved
- ¼ red bell pepper, thickly sliced
- ½ cup broken cashew pieces (pre-soaked for 2-4 hours, or overnight)
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon sweet white miso
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- Non-dairy milk, preferably unsweetened
- Whole grain pasta
- Salt to taste
- In a vegetable steamer, steam the sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and red bell pepper until fork-soft, about 15 minutes. When the vegetables are half cooked, put the water on to boil for the pasta. Salt generously.
- When the veggies are soft, put them in the blender with the remaining ingredients, then blend, adding milk until you obtain a thick pouring sauce. Stop blender once to scrape down the sides blend a little longer to get the sauce really smooth and creamy.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pan. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir over a low heat for a few minutes to warm through and combine thoroughly.
- Serve with kid-friendly greens of your choice.