Whenever you find sweet, ripe strawberries buy twice what you need and hull and freeze half of them. I freeze them in small freezer bags, one smoothie portion per bag. You can also use commercial frozen strawberries for this nourishing mix of fruit, millet, cashews and kefir. I have gotten into the habit of soaking a small amount of cashews and almonds in water and keeping them in the refrigerator to use in smoothies. For a vegan version substitute almond milk for the kefir, and if you can’t find plain kefir, use yogurt or buttermilk.
- ¼ cup, tightly packed, cooked millet
- 1 cup / 6 ounces hulled strawberries, preferably frozen
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 cup plain kefir
- 1 tablespoon soaked cashews (soaked for several hours or overnight in water)
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 or 2 ice cubes if not using frozen strawberries
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
206 calories; 6 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 2 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 32 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 18 grams sugars; 6 grams protein; 15 milligrams cholesterol; 59 milligrams sodium
1 large or 2 small servings
- Place all of the ingredients in the jar of a blender and blend at high speed until smooth. Serve right away.