- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fine granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart berries, washed, hulled and sprinkled with fine granulated sugar, if desired
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
308 calories; 17 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 38 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 33 grams sugars; 3 grams protein; 89 milligrams cholesterol; 83 milligrams sodium
Makes six portions
- Beat the yolks with the sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler, add the milk and cook over simmering water, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming on top. Refrigerate.
- Whip the cream, adding the sugar and vanilla near the end of the process.
- Combine the custard mixture and the whipped cream, folding them together until blended.
- Serve over the berries, or fold the berries into the cream mixture in the manner of a Fool. Alternatively, serve berries and cream separately for hand-dipping at the table.