- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 10 egg yolks
- ½ pound granulated sugar
- 5 ¼ ounces all-purpose flour, sifted
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
520 calories; 9 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 2 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 97 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 69 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 70 milligrams cholesterol; 108 milligrams sodium
Approximately 1 1/4 quarts
- Rinse a deep pot with cold water (to prevent scorching), and pour in milk and vanilla and bring to a boil.
- While milk is heating, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until the combination is thick enough to form ribbons. Gradually mix in the flour.
- Pour hot milk into the egg mixture very gradually – one ladle at a time – while whisking vigorously. Pour mixture back into the pot and cook over medium flame while whisking constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Let it boil for 30 seconds, while whisking, to cook the flour. Transfer mixture to a stainless-steel bowl. Dot with butter to avoid formation of a crust.
- This is more than you need for the mille-feuille; excess can be saved and served with fresh fruit or in other desserts.