This tart is a stunning mosaic of red, orange and yellow tomatoes so shiny and candied that the tart really looks like dessert. But it’s safely on the savory side thanks to a splash of vinegar and a sprinkling of briny olives.
- 114-ounce package all-butter puff pastry
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ¼cup plus a pinch of sugar
- ½teaspoon sherry vinegar
- ¼cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 ½pints (about 1 pound) cherry or grape tomatoes; a mix of colors is nice
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
764 calories; 44 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 23 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 84 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 31 grams sugars; 9 grams protein; 15 milligrams cholesterol; 648 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Unfold puff pastry sheet and cut into a 10-inch round; chill, covered, until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of sugar and cook, stirring, until onions are golden and caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water and let cook off, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan. Transfer onions to a bowl.
- In a clean, ovenproof 9-inch skillet, combine 1/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water. Cook over medium heat, swirling pan gently (do not stir) until sugar melts and turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes. Add vinegar and swirl gently.
- Sprinkle olives over caramel. Scatter tomatoes over olives, then sprinkle onions on. Season with thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Top with puff pastry round, tucking edges into pan. Cut several long vents in top of pastry.
- Bake tart until crust is puffed and golden, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then run a knife around pastry to loosen it from pan, and flip tart out onto a serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
1 hour 15 minutes