- 4 unblemished, ripe avocados, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 envelope plain, unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 2 teaspoons corn, peanut or vegetable oil
- Tarragon leaves for garnish, optional
- Tarragon sauce (see recipe)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
580 calories; 52 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 14 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 13 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 17 grams protein; 88 milligrams cholesterol; 692 milligrams sodium
Six to eight servings
- Split the avocados in half and remove and discard the pits. Cut away and discard the skins. Cut the flesh into cubes and put them in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and stir to coat the pieces so that they do not discolor. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the gelatin and vinegar. When the gelatin is softened, scrape it onto the avocado.
- Put the avocado mixture and mayonnaise into the container of a food processor or electric blender and blend thoroughly. There should be about three cups.
- Scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce, mustard and anchovy paste. Blend thoroughly.
- Pick over the crab meat gently and carefully to remove all trace of shell and cartilage. Leave the lumps as large as possible. Add them to the avocado mixture and fold the crab meat in thoroughly.
- Brush a five-cup ring or decorative mold lightly on the inside with oil. Wipe out any excess oil.
- Pour and scrape the avocado and crab mixture into the mold. Smooth over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Unmold and garnish the top, if desired, with a few tarragon leaves. Serve with tarragon sauce (see recipe).