If you can eat the foods you crave without all the negative health effects, it’s that much more likely that the benefits of “cleansing” will stick! These pancakes, not only have no sugar and use whole-wheat flour, they also have berries, bananas, and crushed pecans to up their healthfulness.
Whole Wheat Fruit and Nut Pancakes
Makes 8 pancakes / Serves 4.
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1/4 c. crushed or roughly chopped pecans
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 c. frozen or fresh mixed berries
- cooking spray or a small pat of butter
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, oats, pecans, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt to combine. In another medium bowl, mash the banana into a paste, then beat in the egg, buttermilk, and almond extract to combine. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly mixed.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat, or melt butter in skillet over medium-low heat. Make pancakes using 1/3 c. batter each. Top each pancake with a few berries. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the batter is bubbling on the top of the pancake and the bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side. Repeat until batter is gone. Serve warm with extra berries and maple syrup. Place any extra cooked pancakes in plastic bags and refrigerate to store.