- 4 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh wild mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced (see note)
- 1 can (16 ounces) imported Italian plum tomatoes, drained and finely chopped, or 2 fresh, very ripe medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 eggs
- 4 to 6 slices, 1/2 inch thick, Italian or French country-syle bread, toasted
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
421 calories; 21 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 7 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 38 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 10 grams sugars; 20 grams protein; 126 milligrams cholesterol; 852 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- Place stock in a heavy-bottomed soup kettle, and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, over medium-high heat, melt butter in olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan. When foam has subsided, add garlic and chopped onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onion is transparent, about 1 minute.
- Add fresh mushrooms, and saute, stirring frequently, until mushroom liquid has evaporated and slices begin to brown. Add to simmering stock, together with tomatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer very gently, uncovered, until flavors are well blended, approximately 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir parsley into soup. Beat eggs with fork in a small bowl until blended. Add beaten eggs slowly to simmering soup, beating constantly with a long-handled fork. Eggs will spin out in threads.
- To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in each of four soup plates. Ladle hot soup over bread slices. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and serve immediately, accompanied by grated cheese.
- If you do not have access to fresh wild mushrooms, substitute a half pound of white button mushrooms together with 3/4 ounce dried porcini, reconstituted. Be sure to add the strained mushroom liquid to the soup stock.