- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup finely minced shallots
- 1 ½ cups imported Italian rice
- 5 cups well-flavored chicken stock (approximately)
- Large pinch of powdered saffron
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated imported Italian Parmesan cheese
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
291 calories; 6 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 2 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 48 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 16 milligrams cholesterol; 288 milligrams sodium
- Heat butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add shallots and saute over medium heat until soft but not brown. Stir in rice and cook for several minutes, until the rice is well coated with butter.
- Place the stock in another saucepan and keep it simmering.
- Dissolve the saffron in a little of the stock in a small dish and stir into the rice.
- Then, stirring the rice constantly, add the simmering stock, about one-half cup at a time, adding additional stock every few minutes as the rice absorbs it. After about 25 minutes, the rice should have absorbed most of the stock and be “al dente” and cohere in a creamy mass. Do not overcook the rice. Season to taste.
- Serve at once with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.