- 2 dozen New Zealand green mussels
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs parsley, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup arborio rice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 to 3 ½ cups chicken stock and mussel liquid
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
791 calories; 22 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 96 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 38 grams protein; 65 milligrams cholesterol; 1111 milligrams sodium
- Scrub and clean mussels, rinsing them several times. Heat a thick frying pan until it is very hot. Add mussels and shake them over the high heat until they open. Discard any that do not open. Remove mussels, cool and shell, reserving any liquid.
- Heat oil in large pan; add parsley and garlic and saute until garlic begins to color. Add mussels along with the wine and cook over high heat until wine is almost completely evaporated. Add rice and stir over medium heat until rice begins to color. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, to the mussel liquid add enough chicken stock to make 3 to 3 1/2 cups. Heat. Add a cupful of hot stock to rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until stock is absorbed. Add another cup and repeat procedure. Continue until all stock is used and rice is tender.