- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt if desired
- 1 package rapid-rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ¼ cups hot water (120 to 130 degrees)
- ½ cup finely diced hard pepperoni
- Oil for greasing pan
- Put flour, sugar, salt, yeast and butter into container of food processor. Start blending while gradually adding water. Blend until dough leaves sides of container. Blend about 15 seconds longer.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured board and make a well in the center. Put pepperoni in well. Knead a few seconds until pepperoni is blended into dough. Shape dough into ball and place in lightly floured mixing bowl. Cover with clean cloth. Place in warm (not hot) draft-free place and let stand until double in bulk, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured board and knead. Shape into an oval and place in a lightly greased six-cup loaf pan. Cover with clean cloth and let stand until doubled, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using razor, cut thin gash lengthwise over top of loaf. Place in oven and bake 35 to 45 minutes.
- Unmold and let cool on a rack
2 hours, plus cool time