- 2 firm, fresh cucumbers, about 3/4 pound
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded, trimmed, seeded hot pepper, preferably red
- ¼ cup sugar
- Salt to taste, if desired
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon shallots sliced as thin as possible
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
135 calories; 0 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 32 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 28 grams sugars; 1 gram protein; 9 milligrams sodium
About two cups
- Trim off the ends of the cucumbers and scrape them. Quarter the cucumbers lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Cut the cucumbers crosswise into thin slices. There should be about two cups. Put the slices into a mixing bowl and add the pepper.
- Combine the sugar, salt, vinegar, water and shallots in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the sauce over the cucumber mixture and stir. Sprinkle with coriander.