- 1 cup pulverized praline (see recipe)
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup, plus 4 tablespoons, sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream
About six cups
- Prepare the praline and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a saucepan, put the yolks, one- half cup of the sugar and the milk. Bring to the simmer and cook until the mixture achieves a custardlike texture. Do not overcook or the eggs will curdle. Remove from the heat immediately.
- Blend the gelatin with the water until it is softened. Stir this into the custard mixture and stir until dissolved. Pour and scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl. Let it stand until cool.
- Put the egg whites in one large mixing bowl, the cream in another.
- Beat the whites until they are almost stiff and add two tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until they are stiff.
- Beat the cream until it is almost stiff and add the remaining two tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until it is stiff.
- Add half of the whites to the egg- yolk sauce and beat them in. Add the remaining whites, folding them in gently. Fold in the cream.
- Continue folding while gradually sprinkling the praline on top. Chill until set.
30 minutes, plus chill time