- ½ cup, plus 6 tablespoons, sugar
- ½ cup, plus 2 tablespoons, cold water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
491 calories; 25 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 7 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 54 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 50 grams sugars; 7 grams protein; 221 milligrams cholesterol; 82 milligrams sodium
About six cups
- Combine one-half cup of sugar, one-half cup of the cold water and the orange rind in a saucepan and bring to the simmer. Add the gelatin and stir to dissolve.
- Add the orange juice and bring to the simmer.
- Combine the cornstarch and the remaining two tablespoons of water and stir the mixture into the simmering liquid.
- Pour and scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl and cool briefly.
- Put the egg yolks in a separate bowl and add about one-quarter cup of the hot liquid to the yolks. Beat briskly and pour and scrape this mixture into the same mixing bowl, beating with a wire whisk. Beat in the Grand Marnier. Set aside until cool.
- Put the egg whites in one large bowl and the cream in another.
- Beat the whites until they are almost stiff and add three tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until they are stiff.
- Beat the cream until it is almost stiff and add the remaining sugar. Continue beating until it is stiff.
- Add half of the whites to the egg- yolk sauce and beat them in. Add the remaining whites, folding them in gently. Fold in the cream. Chill until it is set.
30 minutes, plus chill time