- Butter for greasing pans
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon,sugar, as well as sugar for coating the inside of pans
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup, plus 2 tablespoons, all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup, plus 2 tablespoons, potato starch, available in supermarkets and grocery stores
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the inside of two eight-cup loaf pans. Sprinkle the inside of each pan with sugar and shake it around to coat the bottom and sides.
- Put the egg yolks and one cup of sugar in a mixing bowl and beat, preferably with an electric mixer, until the mixture is light and pale yellow. Add the vanilla.
- Put the all-purpose flour and potato starch in a flour sifter and sift it on top of the egg yolk mixture, folding it in gently but well.
- Beat the egg whites until they are almost stiff. Add the remaining one tablespoon of sugar and continue beating until the egg whites are stiff.
- Add about one-third of the egg whites to the yolk mixture and beat to blend well. Add the remaining whites and fold them in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and place in the oven. Bake 30 minutes or until a straw or thin wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Unmold onto a rack and let cool.
45 minutes, plus cooling time