- 1 pound medium-size shrimp in the shell, about 34
- 2 zucchini, about 1 pound
- 1 ½ pounds red, ripe tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped, seeded and deveined hot green chili or 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 20 small, pitted black olives, preferably imported
- Salt to taste if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or half the amount dried
- ½ pound fusilli (”spirals” or ”twists”)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
558 calories; 24 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 54 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 33 grams protein; 182 milligrams cholesterol; 514 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- Peel and devein the shrimp and cut them in half crosswise. Set aside.
- Trim off and discard the ends of each zucchini. Cut each zucchini crosswise into 2-inch lengths. Cut each piece lengthwise into 6 equal-size wedges. There should be about 3 1/2 cups.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. There should be about 4 cups.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet and add the zucchini. Cook 2 minutes, stirring. Remove and reserve the zucchini.
- To the oil in the skillet add the garlic and cook briefly. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add the hot chili and black olives. Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, zucchini, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute. Cover briefly until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, bring about 3 quarts of water to the boil in a saucepan and add salt to taste. Add the fusilli and cook to the desired degree of doneness, about 10 minutes. Scoop out and reserve 1/4 cup of the hot cooking liquid. Drain the fusilli.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the basil and reserved 1/4 cup cooking liquid to the sauce. Pour the sauce over the fusilli, toss and serve.