- 8 cups sliced, trimmed rhubarb (about 3 pounds)
- 2 cups (packed) light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped, pealed fresh ginger
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
494 calories; 0 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 123 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 110 grams sugars; 3 grams protein; 45 milligrams sodium
About 3 cups, or 4 to 6 servings
- Place the rhubarb, brown sugar, water, ginger and the vanilla bean in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the rhubarb has nearly dissolved into a puree, about 35 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean. Use a paring knife to scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod into the rhubarb.
- Serve the rhubarb warm or cold as a sauce for ice cream or cake, topped with whipped cream or with stiffly whipped cream folded into it.
About 50 minutes