- 5 to 7 thick slices day-old Italian bread, crusts removed
- 2 cloves garlic (or up to 6, as desired), minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water, more as desired
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, or more, as desired
- ½ teaspoon salt, or as desired
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
182 calories; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 284 milligrams sodium
About 1 cup
- Tear the bread into small pieces. Put bread, the garlic, olive oil and 1/4 cup water into a mixing bowl. Toss to combine and let stand 20 minutes to soften.
- Put the mixture into a food processor, blender or electric mixer and process until smooth. Add more water, in small amounts and slowly, until a saucelike consistency is achieved. Season to taste with salt.