- 8 shad fillets
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ pound unsalted butter, clarified
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 sets of shad roe
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Dip shad fillets in mixture of flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat clarified butter and olive oil in a skillet and over low heat slowly cook the shad roe, which has been pricked in a few places. Cook only until it is brown on the outside but pink inside, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside; keep warm.
- Raise heat and saute shad quickly. Remove and set aside. Keep warm.
- Add the chicken stock, wine and lemon to pan and cook quickly over high heat to reduce by half.
- Return roe to pan. Heat through.
- Arrange shad on heated platter with roe. Pour most of sauce from pan and a little over the shad.