- 1 quart home-preserved or commercial canned tomatoes (see note)
- ½ cup light cream
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup finely crumbled saltine crackers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste, if desired
- ¼ teaspoon Shaker bouquet garni (or a mixture of equal quantities of these dried herbs: parsley, thyme, crumbled bay leaf and chervil)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
159 calories; 12 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 10 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 1 gram protein; 40 milligrams cholesterol; 247 milligrams sodium
4 – 6 servings
- Heat tomatoes in a saucepan, breaking up with a fork if necessary.
- Add cream and baking soda; mix well and let simmer 3 to 4 minutes over medium-low heat. Add cracker crumbs and continue simmering until crumbs have swelled. Add sugar, salt and bouquet garni.
- Just before serving, stir in butter. Serve immediately.
- Fresh tomatoes may be used if they are ripe, red and flavorful. Wash fresh tomatoes, cut into quarters, and steam in very little water – just enough to keep from scorching – until tender.