Sometimes the idea is not to be original or creative in the kitchen, but merely to be expedient and to satisfy. The fresh produce of summer makes this easier. Here, peaches and blackberries – the freshest to be found – soak in an easy, no-cook brandy sauce until you’re ready to eat them. Top with creme fraiche, or not. Either way, the “black honey of summer,” as Mary Oliver wrote, is yours.
- 4 large ripe peaches
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup blackberry brandy or 3 tablespoons brandy or cognac
- Creme fraiche (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
104 calories; 0 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 20 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 16 grams sugars; 1 gram protein; 0 milligrams sodium
- Slice the peaches, removing the pits. Place in a bowl and toss lightly with the lemon juice.
- Puree half the blackberries through a sieve to remove the seeds and place in a saucepan. Add the sugar and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the brandy.
- Mix remaining blackberries with the peaches, pour the sauce over the fruit and toss. Refrigerate until ready to serve. If desired, each serving can be topped with creme fraiche.