- 28 sea scallops, about 1 1/4 pounds
- Salt to taste if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard, preferably with grains or seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 zucchini, about 1/2 pound
- Vegetable oil for greasing grill
- Preheat an outdoor grill to high.
- Put scallops in a dish and add salt, pepper, 3 tablespoons olive oil, pepper flakes, mustard and thyme.
- Trim off ends of zucchini and cut it crosswise into 16 slices, each approximately the same size. Add to the scallops in the dish and blend the ingredients.
- Place one piece of zucchini on a skewer and add 2 scallops. Add another piece of zucchini and 2 more scallops. Add a third slice of zucchini, 3 more scallops and a final slice of zucchini. Repeat, using 3 more skewers and the remaining scallops and zucchini.
- Brush the grill of the charcoal broiler with a light coating of oil. Place the skewers on the grill and cook about 1 minute. Turn to the opposite side and cook 1 minute. Cook on the 2 other sides about a minute each. Continue cooking about 2 minutes longer for a total cooking time of about 6 minutes. This cooking time will produce scallops that are medium-well done. Cook the scallops about 2 minutes longer if you wish them well done. Brush with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve hot.
About 20 minutes