- 3 lobes fresh sweetbreads, about 1 1/2 pounds
- Salt to taste if desired
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 peppercorns
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons corn, peanut or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- ¾ pound whole mushrooms, rinsed, drained and quartered
- ⅓ cup Madeira wine
- 1 cup fresh or canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
604 calories; 44 grams fat; 17 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 14 grams monounsaturated fat; 7 grams polyunsaturated fat; 19 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 28 grams protein; 402 milligrams cholesterol; 574 milligrams sodium
- Place the sweetbreads in a saucepan and add cold water to cover. Add salt, bay leaf,parsley,thyme and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Slice each lobe on the bias into four pieces of equal thickness. Sprinkle the slices on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the slices in flour and shake off excess.
- Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large, heavy skillet. Add the sweetbread slices and cook 5 minutes on one side or until golden brown and slightly crisp. Turn the slices and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a heated platter.
- Pour off any fat remaining in the skillet and add 1 tablespoon butter. Add the shallots and mushrooms and stir. Cook until the mushrooms are wilted.
- Sprinkle the mushroom mixture with the Madeira and stir. Add the broth and tomato paste, and bring to a boil. Add the sweetbread slices in one layer. Cover closely and cook 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sweetbread slices to a warm platter. Swirl the remaining tablespoon of butter into the sauce and pour it over the sweetbreads. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.