The spicy chicken cooking time is short, but the recipe does require making the chile oil in advance and marinating the chicken. She suggests buying hot chile oil if you are in a hurry. Be careful; the chicken can produce a lot of smoke in cooking.
- 2large jalapeño chiles
- 2serrano chiles
- ¾cup olive oil, plus more for sautéing
- 2tablespoons hot paprika (or equal parts cayenne and sweet paprika)
- Ground black pepper
- 2 ½lemons
- 1small chicken, quartered and backbone removed
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (3 servings)
1228 calories; 105 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 60 grams monounsaturated fat; 16 grams polyunsaturated fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 63 grams protein; 250 milligrams cholesterol; 1015 milligrams sodium
- Make the chile oil: Chop jalapeño and serrano chiles and put them in a small saucepan with 3/4 cup olive oil. Add hot paprika and grind in a fair amount of black pepper. Steep over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Let sit overnight, or all day.
- Strain chile oil into a large bowl. Slice 2 lemons and add them to the bowl. Season with salt. Coat chicken with the oil, put in a zip-top bag and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to a day.
- Heat oven to 500. Heat a cast-iron skillet until it’s quite hot (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the chile oil and pat it dry. Sprinkle it with salt and shower it with pepper; you need a lot. Slick the bottom of the pan with olive oil and put the chicken, skin-side down, in the hot skillet. Cook until the skin is crisp and golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn the chicken skin-side up.
- Put the skillet in the oven and roast about 20 minutes, or until a thermometer registers 170 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh. Sprinkle with juice from half a lemon, shower with more pepper and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.