Sweet butternut squash stands in perfectly for the sweet shrimp in an otherwise traditional Vietnamese spring roll.
FOR THE ROLLS:
- 1pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4ounces vermicelli rice noodles or rice sticks
- 128-inch round rice paper wrappers
- ⅓cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds or peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1cup cilantro leaves and thin stems, torn into bite-size pieces
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1 to 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 2tablespoons Asian hot chile oil
- 2teaspoons sesame oil
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
154 calories; 6 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 22 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 3 grams protein; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 186 milligrams sodium
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil and spread in a single layer. Roast 15 minutes, toss gently and return to oven until tender and caramelized, about 10 more minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepares noodles: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Turn off heat, add noodles, and allow to sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- To assemble rolls: Fill a large pie plate or shallow bowl with very warm tap water. Lay a clean, damp kitchen towel on counter to use as a work surface; this will prevent wrappers from sliding. Submerge two paper wrappers in the water to soften, about 1 minute. Gently transfer one wrapper to towel.
- In lower third of circle, place a small handful of noodles, leaving about an inch and a half of empty wrapper on either side. Place two or three pieces of squash on top of noodles, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and cilantro. To roll, fold left and right sides of wrapper snugly over the filling. Lift the bottom of the wrapper over the filling, tucking it underneath, then roll up firmly but gently. Place seam side down on a plate, and continue with remaining wrappers and filling. Cut in half when ready to serve.
- For dipping sauce: In a small bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the vinegar and sugar. Add chile oil and sesame oil, and taste. If desired, add additional soy sauce.