- 2 pounds cod or halibut steaks
- 1 pound medium shrimps
- 1 pound scallops
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- 8 cups fish stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread sliced
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
460 calories; 11 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 27 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 62 grams protein; 222 milligrams cholesterol; 1242 milligrams sodium
- Trim the bones from the cod or halibut steaks and cut the flesh into one-and-a-half-inch pieces. Peel the shrimps and reserve the shells. Cut the scallops in half if they are large. Sprinkle the saffron threads into one-half cup water and set aside. Add the shells and bones to the fish stock and simmer over low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter with the oil in a heavy casserole. Fry the onion, garlic, leeks, carrot and chopped celery stalk until soft and golden.
- Toast the slices of bread in the oven and arrange in a basket on a napkin.
- Strain the fish stock, correct seasoning and add it to the vegetables with the saffron water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the fish and scallops and cook for three to four minutes. Then add the shrimp. Cook for two minutes. Remove from the heat and serve the stew in heated bowls, passing the bread and the aioli separately.