- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 ¼ cups sifted flour
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup drained, thoroughly rinsed and chopped sauerkraut
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
361 calories; 14 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 54 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 30 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 88 milligrams cholesterol; 330 milligrams sodium
8 to 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour three eight-inch cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with water to the butter and egg mixture. Mix well.
- Fold in drained sauerkraut.
- Turn into cake pans. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until cake springs back at the touch. Remove from pans immediately, cool on a rack then frost layers with fudge frosting (see recipe).
45 minutes, plus cooling time