This pretty winter salad gets an upgrade with a garnish of trout roe, sometimes known as pink caviar. Salmon roe is an option, too, as is a dab of relatively inexpensive paddlefish caviar. Make the salad as a first course composed on individual plates, or, for a stand-up cocktail affair, serve a small amount of the mixture spooned into the sturdy red leaves.
For the vinaigrette:
- 1small shallot, finely diced
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 1 ½pounds medium yellow beets
- 2tender celery stalks, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- Salt and pepper
- radicchio, Treviso or red endive leaves
- 5ounces smoked trout fillets, or more if desired
- 4red radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1hard-boiled egg, finely chopped (optional)
- 2ounces trout roe, salmon roe or paddlefish caviar (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2tablespoons snipped chives
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
269 calories; 15 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 20 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 12 grams sugars; 14 grams protein; 104 milligrams cholesterol; 1475 milligrams sodium
- Make the vinaigrette: Put shallots, mustard, lemon zest and vinegars in a small bowl and stir together. Season with salt and pepper. Leave for 5 minutes to macerate, then whisk in oil. Set aside.
- Prepare the salad: Scrub beets, then simmer in abundant salted water until tender when pierced with a skewer, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. When beets are still somewhat warm, rub off and discard skins. Trim any rough bits with a paring knife.
- Cut beets into half-moon slices, 1/4-inch thick, and place in a medium bowl. Add celery slices. Season with salt and pepper and dress with half the vinaigrette. Toss well with your hands to coat.
- Arrange salad leaves on individual plates, then distribute beet mixture. Break smoked trout fillets into rough 1-inch pieces and arrange over beets. Scatter a few radish slices over each salad. Add some chopped egg, if using. Sprinkle lightly with salt and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
- Top each salad with a generous teaspoon of trout roe and sprinkle with chives and dill sprigs.