- 1 carp, 2 to 3 pounds, head and tail left on
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons red rice-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon water-chestnut powder, see note, or cornstarch
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 2 green onions (both white and green parts), slivered
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (3 servings)
652 calories; 30 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 8 grams polyunsaturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 14 grams sugars; 70 grams protein; 251 milligrams cholesterol; 1299 milligrams sodium
Three to four servings
- Make three diagonal slashes across each side of the fish. Prepare a marinade of the soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the peanut oil, vinegar and honey. Soften the water-chestnut powder in a little of the broth, add the remaining broth and ketchup to the vinegar mixture.
- Prepare the garnish of gingerroot and onions and set aside.
- Bring a wide-mouthed pot of water to the boil. Immerse the carp with a pair of spatulas or a Chinese mesh strainer and hold it under the water for four to five minutes. Remove the carp and drain it thoroughly. Put it on a serving platter and pour over it the marinade of soy, rice wine and seasonings. Sprinkle the gingerroot and onions on top of fish.
- Heat the wok over high heat, add the vinegar mixture and stir until the mixture thickens. Immediately pour it over the fish.