- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, lukewarm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus oil for greasing the baking sheet and mixing bowl
- ½ cup freshly grated pecorino or romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or half the amount dried
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
345 calories; 13 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 45 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 8 milligrams cholesterol; 198 milligrams sodium
Six to 10 servings
- Put the yeast into the container of a food processor and add the water, all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, salt and sugar.
- Start blending while adding two tablespoons of the oil. Blend until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl of the container. Empty the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead briefly. Shape the dough into a ball. Lightly oil a mixing bowl and add the ball of dough. Cover with clear plastic wrap and let stand half an hour or longer in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet. Roll out the dough into a rectangle measuring about 11 by 13 inches. Place the rectangle of dough onto the baking sheet. Using two fingers, make indentations all over the surface of the dough, leaving a half-inch border all around. Combine the cheese, garlic, rosemary and black pepper. Sprinkle the top of the dough all over with this mixture. Press down once more all over the top of the dough with two fingers. Dribble the remaining four tablespoons of olive oil all over the dough.
- Place the dough in the oven and bake 30 minutes. Cut into six to 10 wedges and serve hot.
1 hour 30 minutes