Cinnamon Apple Quick Bread With Apple Cider Glaze
For the cake:
- Unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 cups/255 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- ½ cup/120 milliliters vegetable oil
- ½ cup/120 milliliters unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup/100 grams granulated sugar
- ½ cup/110 grams packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, unpeeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup/240 milliliters apple cider
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup/60 grams confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
471 calories; 21 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 12 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 66 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 39 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 82 milligrams cholesterol; 315 milligrams sodium
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8 1/2-inch-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, applesauce, sugars, eggs and apple.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool slightly, then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely.
- When the cake has cooled, prepare the glaze: Bring the apple cider to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue to cook the cider until it has reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Add the butter, confectioners’ sugar and salt. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and continue to cook the mixture, whisking often, until it has become syrupy and thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Set aside to cool until it thickens slightly.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake, and serve.