Choucroute Orecchiette With Brussels Sprouts and Bratwurst
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces fully cooked bratwurst (about 4 links), sliced 1/2-inch thick (see tip)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, quartered if large or halved if small (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces drained sauerkraut, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound orecchiette
- ½ cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces), more for serving
- ½ cup sour cream (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, parsley or chives
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
934 calories; 41 grams fat; 18 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 103 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 36 grams protein; 102 milligrams cholesterol; 1311 milligrams sodium
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bratwurst and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the brussels sprouts, sauerkraut and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the brussels sprouts are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve 1 1/2 cups pasta cooking water and drain the pasta. Return the pasta and reserved cooking water to the pot over low heat. Add the sausage mixture, Parmesan, sour cream and dill and stir until slightly thickened and saucy, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with more Parmesan, if desired.
- Fully cooked bratwurst is widely available in most markets. If using fresh, lightly prick them with a fork, and simmer in water or stock (or pan-fry in oil or butter) until cooked through, about 15 minutes.