A touch of fine cornmeal in the batter gives these waffles a delicious crispness. For a savory approach, they are embellished with smoked salmon, crème fraîche and caviar, perfect for a celebratory soiree, midnight supper or brunch. Serve a whole waffle or cut in quarters for appetizers. If you don’t have a waffle iron, the batter can also be used to make pancakes or blini. Of course, if preferred, serve these corn-perfumed waffles with sweet toppings instead.
For the batter:
- 3 cups/380 grams all-purpose flour
- ½ cup/90 grams fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ½ cups/840 milliliters buttermilk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup/120 milliliters melted butter
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 8 ounces smoked salmon (about 6 large slices), chilled
- 4 ounces salmon roe, trout roe or other caviar (about 6 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- ¼ cup roughly chopped dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
650 calories; 29 grams fat; 16 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 69 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 25 grams protein; 206 milligrams cholesterol; 910 milligrams sodium
- Make the batter: In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk in buttermilk, eggs and butter. Beat briefly to produce a thick batter. Set aside at room temperature.
- Prepare the condiments: Stir together crème fraîche and lemon zest, and transfer to a serving dish. On a platter, arrange the smoked salmon, caviar, chives and dill.
- Heat the waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. When hot, ladle in a scant cup of batter. (This amount is for a round waffle with a 7-inch diameter. Adjust quantities for irons of other sizes.) Close the iron, and bake each waffle for 4 to 5 minutes, until well browned and quite crisp. You may hold waffles uncovered on a baking sheet in a 250-degree oven, for up to 20 minutes.
- To serve, lay a slice of smoked salmon in the center of each waffle. Top with a good dollop of crème fraîche and a heaped teaspoon of caviar. Sprinkle with chives, dill and a bit of black pepper. (To serve as appetizers, assemble a platter in the kitchen: Cut waffles in quarters or wedges, and top each with a small piece of salmon, a dab of créme fraîche and some caviar. Garnish with herbs and pepper.)
- For a more substantial dish, top each waffle with a freshly poached egg, in addition to the crème fraîche and caviar.